Ok, so I got a ton of questions about my makeup from yesterday's outfit post. I'm not a makeup artist, I kinda just go with what I like. Back in the olden days, my mom used to "sell" Beauty Control makeup. By sell I mean, buy an absurd amount of it for herself at a discount, haha! So I have been watching my mom do her own makeup, and playing in gobs of makeup since I was a little girl. That's about all the training I have. Good old fashioned watching my mama, who by the way looks absolutely NOTHING like me. She has beautiful, fiery red hair and a completely different skin tone. She's very warm and I am very cool. So I pretty much learned from her what colors not to use, ha! Anyhoo, I will describe down below what I used for this look.
I wasn't planning on doing this post, so I'm lucky The Husband got a closed eye pic on accident. It's not very attractive haha, but for you guys, anything! So here it goes...
First things first, I moisturize my face like crazy. I'm talkin, very thick creamy moisturizer, then thick sunscreen, then I put on a primer.
1. Eyeshadow Base: MAC Paint Pot in "Painterly"-this is used on my eyelids no matter what color eyeshadows I will be using. It's basically the same color as my skin, covers up any veiny or red eyelids so that you start with a clean slate.
2. Eyeshadows: I change up my eyeshadows daily. I have a huge collection of MAC shadows, I use the Tarte Matte Palette, and I use the Naked2 Palette by Urban Decay. But in this set of pictures, I am wearing Mac "Orb" (matches my skin almost perfectly, so it's my base color), "Quarry", "Haux", and "Jest." I'm not going to tell you how I did it or give you a tutorial, because you can find a much better one out in Youtube land. I just follow the basic eyeshadow rules, the whole crease thang and what not. Not hard, nothing fancy.
3. Eyebrows: I fill in my eyebrows with MAC eyeshadow in "Brun." I just do it lightly, and it makes a huge difference, but you can barely tell. That almost makes no sense, but it does, I promise. (What?!?) I basically mean it looks very natural, but you would notice if you saw me with and without. I'm not going to lie, I haven't had my eyebrows waxed in over a year, and I do very little to them. That's just what they look like, if you get up close, you'll notice they are growing into my hairline slightly lol...I need to get them done! I am very light handed with the powder, only one or two swipes. I just think it looks more natural than drawing stuff with a pencil. Generally the folks that use pencils look good in very carefully taken Instagram pictures, but then in person, they look like WHOA! Are you wearing electrical tape on your eyebrows? Is that sharpie marker above your eyelids? What's the deal?
4. Eyeliner: My eye color is kinda weird. It's not brown. It's an olive green, golden color. So I don't use black or brown eyeliner. I almost always use navy blue. It makes them pop a bit more. My two favorites are Neutrogena in "Twilight Blue" and Stila Smudge Stick in "midnight blue." I'm wearing the Stila one in these pics. Heavier on the top, very lightly on the bottom.
5. Mascara: Everyone has a very specific mascara that they like. Use whatever one you like, makes no real difference.
1. I am on a search for my favorite foundation. Haven't found "the one" yet. What I am wearing in these pics is MAC Studio Fix Fluid foundation in NC15. Yes, the palest color they have. Yes, I really am that pale, I swear. Go back and look at some of the pics that show my legs...trust me on this. It is the best I have found so far, but I have a sneaking suspicion there is another one that's better...I've got my eye on it...I'll try it soon and report back.
2. My favorite two concealers are MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15 and Make Up For Ever Full Cover in 1-Pink Porcelain. I generally use a combo of the two. I should actually be using a lighter color, but I haven't found anyone who makes one! Since I already use the palest foundation, finding a concealer that is lighter is almost impossible, I need one though, would look much better!
3. Contour: I do a pretty light contour, google it, I am not the one to teach you. I use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit. I use it for my contour and my highlight.
4. I set my under eyes and areas that get oily or sweaty or anything like that with a loose translucent powder.
5. Blush: I use Nars, MAC, and Tarte blushes. In these pics I have on Tarte Amazonian Clay 12- Hour Blush in "Dollface."
1. Liner: MAC Lip Pencil in "Hip 'N' Happy." It matches my natural lip color pretty perfectly.
2. Lipstick: This is my favorite lipstick color on earth. I'll say it till the cows come home, I'm convinced it works on everyone. My mom wears it too! It looks dark, but don't let that scare you, try it! MAC Lipstick in "Syrup."
3. Lipgloss: MAC Plushglass in "Ample Pink."
That's it, and that's all! This is pretty much a neutral look for me, these colors are all the perfect colors for my skin tone. So think about that before you go out and try them! I have a very cool, pink based, pale skin tone, and an odd eye color (My Brand!). When I am looking for makeup artists to follow online, I try and look for a "skin twin", because it's kind of crazy to try out a look from a blonde hair, blue eyed blogger, thinking I would look even remotely the same! Not gonna happen. The closest I've ever found is an awesome youtube star and blogger named Marlena. She has a website and makeup brand called Makeup Geek. So if you look like me, she has some awesome tutorials you can follow to a T. If not, she actually has some pretty awesome basic how-tos in general, but go find your "skin twin!" There are tons of makeup bloggers on youtube and all over the internet. It's pretty much saturated with makeup artists these days! Hello Pinterest!
My hair color is actually a hot mess and you can read about it here. So if you are dying to get my color...it's not technically on purpose, ha! So good luck with that. I curled it with my biggest curling wand for these pics, as opposed to my medium one that I used in this post.
Photography by The Husband